Sunday, July 19, 2009

Viewing Log #3: Celebrity tenants [7/13/09 - 7/19/09]

by Ryland Walker Knight


size
up
—Scale me, mount of shale; here, that's how

  • In A Lonely Place [Nick Ray, 1950] # More vicarious stuff, as I'm missing something grand again. I like how Steve described Bogie: "Mean X-rated expressions." Read Glenn and Hoberman, too, if you have yet to.
  • Celine and Julie go boating [Jacques Rivette, 1974] # Because I can. Because those girls are good to dream about. Because it's FUN.
  • Kings and Queen [Arnaud Desplechin, 2005] # Cuz a got a lovely note about it, I watched the last half hour. Then I skipped back to Amalric's dance before bed to wash the loneliness from my head-mouth. Listen: Marly Marl.
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince [David Yates, 2009] Oh, my. What a waste, as usual, of all that talent (surrounding and guiding our boy in the middle); alternately, of all that money; further, of space (re: the kids). More here.
  • US Go Home [Claire Denis, 1994] # Trying to decipher the opening monologue sans soustitres.
  • Esther Kahn [Arnaud Desplechin, 2000] # For an ongoing project.
  • The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance [John Ford, 1962] # Looking for law talk, in skim mode.
  • Cadillac Records [Darnell Jackson, 2008] # Watched with the grandma, on her behalf, though I never thought I would sit through it again. It's still hack cinema, through and through, from screenplay to execution, but Jeffrey Wright is a pleasure and so are all of those songs.
  • Scarface [Howard Hawks, 1932] # Grimey, angry, ugly. A real treat. Muni is sick, gross. She's all elbows, perfect in her lust.
  • US Go Home [Claire Denis, 1994] # Greg's dance, and some other points of interest.
  • The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance [John Ford, 1962] # Still one of my favorites, and it keeps getting richer as I keep getting older.

celebrity tenants

No comments:

Post a Comment