Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Black and White Valentine's Day.

by Ryland Walker Knight


I don't...
EH?
Encore!
Heels up!
Different But The Same
The Same But Different

To you, my little prairie flower:
I'm thinking of you every hour.
Though now you're just a friend to me,
I wonder what the end will be.
Oh you would make my life divine,
If you would change your name to mine.*

The Awful Truth: Maybe the best Valentine's Day movie ever. Or, one of the best. Or, the best I've ever watched on a Valentine's Day. Of course Cary Grant is amazing but, really, Irene Dunne is quite the star: at one point she dresses like a galaxy. May your loved ones hold you tight tonight and every night. Right? Smile. [These and two more]

*As delivered by Dan (Ralph Bellamy) to Lucy (Irene Dunne)

3 comments:

  1. The Awful Truth is addictive viewing for me. I have watched it about 20 times in the last couple months. Cary Grant is as funny in there as Richard Pryor in Which Way Is Up (which is, btw, the only movie I ever heard of that put somebody in the hospital for laughing too much.) Irene Dunne somehow makes Privileged Self-Absorbed White Woman halfway sublime.

    I was planning to do an AT post for one of the Vinyls using screencaps, but your caps are almost indetical to mine. That look he gives after he says "Oklahoma." Get out of my head, man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cary Grant's delivery of: "We didn't want ice water", Bellamy (looking back to Grant from Dunne, walking away): No?
    Grant: No.

    , the way in which he says no, looks away, is one of the single greatest comedic deliveries put on screen.
    And Irene Dunne is amazing herself. "I guess it was easier for her to change her name than for her whole family to change theirs."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cary Grant's delivery of: "We didn't want ice water", Bellamy (looking back to Grant from Dunne, walking away): No?
    Grant: No.

    , the way in which he says no, looks away, is one of the single greatest comedic deliveries put on screen.
    And Irene Dunne is amazing herself. "I guess it was easier for her to change her name than for her whole family to change theirs."

    ReplyDelete