Sunday, March 07, 2010

Viewing Log #36: Another orange hour [3/1/10 - 3/7/10]

by Ryland Walker Knight


Red Shoes 4

  • Like You Know It All [Hong Sang-soo, 2009] # Picked up more of the Buñuel vibe this time, looking at select scenes, which of course made it more enjoyable. That is, the line of reality is perforated, kinda, and things don't abut so much as move between planes. Guess that's what being drunk is like, too, so that works since the movie is, like all the Hong I've seen, so full of drinking and drunk idiot antics. Though, to be fair, there's less here of that mess.
  • You Don't Mess With the Zohan [Dennis Dugan, 2008] The first half hour or so. So ludicrous that it makes sense, is fine. Also, call me stupid but I laughed. Sometimes those so-low lowbrow things really tickle me.

  • The Red Shoes [Powell and Pressburger, 1948] # Beautiful, of course, in this restoration-iteration. Sitting close helped. Would say more but it was a late show, and I mostly had energy for color and performance. There's way more going on there. Another day. For now I'm content with this, with, simply, as one might put it, the pleasure of the text.

  • Like You Know It All [Hong Sang-soo, 2009] As I tweeted, it's not quite "my thing" but I also think it's kinda great. Still figuring out who this Hong dude is; will need to watch more. If anything, it felt light years from Virgin Stripped Bare By Her Bachelors. Mostly because of those hilarious zooms and reframings to bookend scenes. More shortly as SFIAAFF approaches.

  • Lost "Sundown" [S6E6, , 2010] Lots of fun; things are starting; more here.

Red Shoes 2

No comments:

Post a Comment