Monday, January 01, 2007

Ahem...Bring It On, 2007

by Ryland Walker Knight

A mixtape/CD to commemorate the wild ride of 2006 and the start of a guaranteed-to-be-wacky 2007. However, this hardly represents any take on the current music scene as I'm so out of touch. That's Mike's job... These are just songs I often listen to, or have at some point, that kind of tell a story about the year (but in a fragmented time kinda way, evidenced by the JB track smack in the middle).

So without further ado, here's a list of tunes in a specific order I give to you to piece together, sans aural help:

1. Strange Magic - ELO
2. In The Air Tonight - Phil Collins
3. I Look Into Mid Air - Rex The Dog
4. Why Why - Bogdan Raczynski
5. Female Demands - Prefuse 73
6. Erotic City - Prince
7. My Love - Justin Timberlake
8. What You Know - T.I.
9. Numb Encore - Jay Z & Linkin Park
10. Skew It On The Bar B - Outkast & Raekwon
11. Xpressway To Yrself - Electric Company
12. I Got The Feelin' - James Muthafunkin Brown, RIP
13. Can You Get To That? - Funkadelic
14. Shake Some Action - The Flaming Groovies
15. Little Room - The White Stripes
16. Eighteen - Alice Cooper
17. Hey Elanor - Casiotone for the Painfully Alone
18. Pick Fights - Why?
19. In The Air Tonight - godheadSilo
20. Pope - Prince

Some glaring omissions, due to convenience, time constraints, fluidity and what files are actually on my harddrive versus vinyl in a box:

Hip Hop - Dead Prez
Freeze The Saints - Stephen Malkmus
Rattled By The Rush - Pavement
Only You - Yazoo
Sitting Still - REM
Clam, Crab, Cockle, Cowrie - Joanna Newsom
Sawdust & Diamonds - Joanna Newsom
Anythang - Devin The Dude
Mr Tough - Yo La Tengo
I Was Young When I Left Home - Bob Dylan
plenty of others...

No comments:

Post a Comment