Monday, September 22, 2008

VINYL IS PODCAST #2: Future calendar highlights, with Brian Darr.

by Ryland Walker Knight and Mark Haslam


let's talk money

RWK here. This episode: we're joined by local hero and blogging buddy Brian Darr, of Hell on Frisco Bay, to talk the upcoming rep calendar. Of course, any talk about movies, especially a talk meant to cover so much, will spill over into other topics and other films other than the films and film series at hand. We even divert into a talk about Cut Copy and their upcoming, sold-out show in San Francisco on Sunday, October 5th, as well as Gus Van Sant and Michael Haneke, among other things, including my trip to Telluride, again, of course. Speaking of: a big apology to Howie Movshovitz, one of the real cool pair of moderators/hosts for our Student Symposium (the other: Linda Williams), whose name I totally blanked on during our recording session. If you make it that far, you'll hear me grasping, failing, griping -- and coming up with Harvey. The reason I didn't follow Brian's "on air" advice and splice in some kind of edit correction is because I just want to let the tape run. As I say at one point, this is not planned. I like it that way. I did a better job of projecting my voice this week, I think, which might make it easier to listen to, but I still dig how un-NPR we are on these experiments. Thanks for indulging us. We're still trying to make this mic work, but it's tough. I've got a (pretty cheap) directional mic so it really needs you to talk at it -- it doesn't record the space of the room all that well -- and, as is natural, Brian and Mark turned towards me to talk, to perform our conversation, so their voices are a little lower than mine in the mix. So turn it up.

Once again, we've got some dance music to introduce and end the episode, and you can grab it here. Yes, it's Cut Copy. Oh, you want a link to the podcast itself? Well, you can click this link to load iTunes and subscribe there or you can click this link to find our podomatic page or you can click this link to download the file directly from podomatic or you can click this link to subscribe to the RSS feed. The choice is yours. And, of course, please tell us things in the comments. If you're in the Bay, tell us what you're most interested in, what we may have forgotten. For one, I know there's a certain en vogue auteur we didn't talk about that will be exhibited in San Francisco in October. Do you know who? Where? When, exactly?

Since this episode is about twice as long as the previous one, and I always appreciate Rob's breakdowns, here's some minute markers for our rambling talk:

6 comments:

  1. Ryland and Mark, you're my heroes. Thanks for inviting me on, and helping me realize I could really use some guidance on microphone technique. Sorry that some of what I say is so hard to hear- not least the irony I was hoping would drip from my comment about "my netflix queue" - which is non-existent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for joining us! And, you know, it's cool, we're learning, too. I was wondering if that comment was a funny fib...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guys, I enjoyed the chat. It made me feel like I was hanging around near the PFA talking about what to see what to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Rob. Glad you dig it. It's too bad we never did chat outside-around-near the PFA talking about what to see or what we just saw. Perhaps this can happen in the future, most likely at TIFF. And, you know, failing that, there's still these blogs we keep playing with...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is interesting. Thank you for sharing. If you have time, please visit my website https://365movies.is/film/diablo-229/

    ReplyDelete